Thursday, October 20, 2016

Favorite Music

     Today, music plays a huge part in American culture. It's socially impactful with both influential and philosophical context; it also plays a huge economic role. One of the most interesting things I've read about music itself is in an interview where Moby, a singer and songwriter, replies with this to an interviewer asking what music is, "One of the really fascinating things about music is that technically- in a very literal way- it doesn’t exist. A painting, a sculpture or a photograph can physically exist, while music is just air hitting the eardrum in a slightly different way than it would randomly. If you were a space alien trying to define music- you would define it as humans manipulating the way in which air molecules hit someone’s eardrum. Somehow that air- which has almost no substance whatsoever- when moved and when made to hit the eardrum in tiny subtle ways- can make people dance, cry, move across country, go to war and more. It’s remarkable that something so subtle can illicit profound emotional reactions in people." 

     Personally, my favorite type of music is rap/hip hop. Some of my favorite artists being Chance the rapper, Drake, and Russ. Chance is an America hip hop artist who began to achieve popularity after his album Acid Rap. His career originally started in 2011, Acid Rap being released in 2013 only two years after. Russ is also an American hip hop artist and record producer. He's one of the fastest growing artists of 2016. He started all the way back when he was 7, writing raps and making beats when he was 14 years old.

What do you guys like?

3 comments:

  1. Hello Atticus, I'm Siham and I really liked the way you described music. I've never thought about the fact that "music technically doesn't exist"... However, I think it is a very interesting idea to develop and I would like to have the link of the interview to know more about it.
    Apart of that, do you sing or play any instrument?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Siham, I apologize for not linking the interview in the blog post so here: https://thoughteconomics.com/the-role-of-music-in-human-culture/

    Also, no I don't sing or play unfortunately. I wish, I don't really have the voice for it and I've never given an instrument enough attention.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Siham, I apologize for not linking the interview in the blog post so here: https://thoughteconomics.com/the-role-of-music-in-human-culture/

    Also, no I don't sing or play unfortunately. I wish, I don't really have the voice for it and I've never given an instrument enough attention.

    ReplyDelete